THE TRAVELLING VEGAN: Mia's Perfect Cacao Pancakes
More About Mia and her Soulful Food...
PERFECT CACAO PANCAKES - why are they so good?
When you find yourself decidedly lacking in energy towards the end of a busy week, or perhaps wanting a little guilt-free treat over the weekend, then a plate of my utterly delicious and wonderfully nutrition boosting pancakes is just the thing you need!
This recipe has slight twist on the traditional egg-based American Style Pancake. They're just as tasty, but more nutritious (so don’t feel guilty indulging from time to time!).
With the main ingredient being oats, instead of white flour, we are incorporating a food that has been medicine for many generations. It is one of the most treasured of the ancient grains and is proven to have calming and restorative properties for both physical and mental exhaustion.
So how do these help support your health and wellbeing?
Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) – proper functioning of your nervous system (powerful in terms of mood and alertness).
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – essential for converting food into energy (helps maintain good energy levels), antioxidant qualities (fighting off free radicals).
Vitamin D – ensures good calcium absorption and helps keep bones and teeth healthy.
Vitamin E (Tocopherol) – a key antioxidant protecting your body from free radicals, essential for a healthy heart and blood supply, very good for your skin and eye health.
Magnesium – essential for every biochemical process in your body, including energy production and synthesis of genetic material (known to help support better sleep, depression/mood problems, and premenstrual syndrome).
Calcium – most important for healthy teeth and bones, also crucial for conducting messages along nerves and enabling muscle contraction (also known to help with joint pain, period pain, some depression/mood problems).
- Start by soaking chia or flax in 2 tbsp of water - mix them together and let it stand for at least 10 minutes. Once gooey, this will be your egg-replacement.
- If you have chosen to make your own oat flour, now is the time to do it (while the chia mix is standing). Don't worry though, pre-made works just as well!
- Add in the cinnamon, baking powder and sprinkle of sea salt to the oat flour.
- Put the oat flour mix into a large mixing bowl and add the chia mix while stirring in your chosen milk alternative.
- Stir gently until mixture is smooth (don’t beat/whisk).
- Heat one can of coconut milk gently in a pan on a medium heat.
- Stirring with a whisk, gradually add the 3 tablespoons of cacao powder, 1 teaspoon cornflour and 1 tablespoon maple syrup, as the mixture warms.
- Keep stirring with the whisk until all the lumps dissolve.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool down for at least 10 minutes - the drizzle needs to thicken on cooling / standing.
- Can be stored in fridge for up to 5 days.
- Infuse your pan with a generous knob of coconut oil and heat to a medium temperature. A non-stick pan is essential if you prefer to use no oil.
- Pour the batter into pan (I use a ladle per pancake and let one pancake form before adding another, or cook them individually, depending on the pan size!)
- Once bubbles start to rise in the mixture, they are ready to flip.
- When done with frying process, keep warm in oven on a very low heat).
- When ready to serve, put desired amount on plate and add a generous serving of our scrumptious cacao drizzle.
OTHER YUMMY TOPPING IDEAS
- Add some bananas to your plate before drizzling the cacao mixture – hmmm!
- Warm stewed apples: cut apples into cubes, throw into pot with a dash of water, a pinch of sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon. Place on lid to let simmer on low heat for 5-10min.
- Simply seeds - sprinkle your favourite selection of seeds (ideally lightly toasted) over the drizzled cacao.
- Serve with beautiful freshly chopped ripe seasonal fruit.
- Classic maple syrup - simple and scrumptious!
If you love this, then you will love my other Soulful Vegan Recipes from around the world... Just click here for my Delicious Vegan Dahl and my Beautiful Buddha Bowl.
Until next time… Love and wellness to you… Enjoy! Mia xx