Autumn is the season of harvest, a time to pull inward and gather together on all levels, a time to store up fuel, for the approaching stillness of winter. Everything in nature contracts and moves its essence inward and downward.
More About Mia and her Soulful Food...
Hi, I'm Mia, veg and fruit lover extraordinaire. My plant-based journey started with a love for this planet and everyone who's living on it. Through travel, experimenting, and a lot of curiosity, I have discovered just how easy, accessible, and simple (yet diverse, tasty and nutritious!) vegan food can be. It is very important to me that my diet supports all my nutritional needs, and so my recipes focus on finding ways to this this whilst also tasting scrumptious!
What I love the most about cooking is the community aspect of it. The joy and comfort of gathering and sharing – how it brings everyone together. My regular recipes and posts are to do just this! I will be sharing my favourite tasty and healthy vegan meals and treats with you. And I hope that you will enjoy looking after yourself by eating them, and of course sharing them with your own tribe, large or small.
Wishing you lots of love, health and happiness, Mia xx
This power packed sassy super stew takes minimum time and effort to cook up an evening meal for you and your people. It is also brilliant for batch cooking for the freezer or to have as week-long lunches or dinners.
The cold on the outside drives us to seek inner warmth, which the protein and turmeric in this dish do right through to the body’s core. Cauliflower is said to be especially soothing for lungs, and stimulates the liver out of stagnancy, as well as having outstanding resources of Vitamin C, K and B6. Additionally, Carrots, Cabbage and Turnip contain great amounts of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fibre, helping your body fight against disease and infection and boosting weak immune systems.
Sprouts represent the point of greatest vitality in the life cycle of a plant, as during the sprouting, the vitamin and enzyme content increases dramatically. The sprouting process predigests the nutrients of the seed making it easier for your body to assimilate and metabolise.
Serves 4 hungry herbivores or makes as week-long lunches!
- 4 large potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 1 small cabbage turnip
- 300g/half a head cauliflower
- 1 onion
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup dried lentils of choice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- Splash of cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley and sprouts to garnish
- Start by peeling (only where needed and optional) and chopping all your vegetables (except your onion) into cubes, so that they are all ready in advance. This is the most time-consuming part and from then on its only about patiently waiting.
- When all veggies are bite-sized pieces, take your onion and dice it into very small cubes.
- To a large pot, add a splash of oil and start frying onion and coconut flakes until slightly browned.
- After 3-4 minutes throw in all your vegetables and spices. Mix for a few minutes until everything looks a bit glazed and well coated with spices.
- Add your lentils of choice and the vegetable broth.
- Cover your pot and bring to a boil. Once it has reached boiling, return to medium-low heat and let simmer for another 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir roughly every so often while the stew simmers.
- Add the frozen peas and the coconut milk, bring back up to a simmer, and then turn the heat back down and let it stand for at least 5 more minutes.
- If you want this to turn into more of a soupy dish, feel free to add more water. If you want the stew to be a bit thinker, then cooked for a little longer and allow the liquids to reduce down a bit further.
- Serve with fresh bread, parsley or sprouts.
If you love this, then you will love my other Soulful Vegan Recipes from around the world… Just click for my Beautiful Buddha Bowl, Perfect Vegan Cacao Pancakes, Delicious Vegan Dahl, Vegan Carrot Cake, Beetroot with Lentils & Polenta or my Tropical Thunder Green Smoothie.
Until next time, sending lots of love, health and wellness to you. Mia xx