Protein-Rich Broccoli & Pesto Pasta
Ingredients - serves 4
9 oz. (250g) pasta (of choice)
6.5 oz. (190g) green pesto (veggie or vegan, or you can home-make your own)
¼ cup (35g) sunflower seeds
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 head broccoli, separated into florets
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium white onion, sliced
1 medium leek, sliced
salt & pepper to taste
4 tbsp. basil leaves, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare a baking tray lined with aluminium foil.
2. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packaging.
3. Roast the sunflower and sesame seeds in a dry frying pan for about 1 minute, until golden. Shake the pan from time to time to stop the seeds from sticking and burning. Then set the seed mix aside.
4. Arrange the broccoli florets on the baking tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Bake in the hot oven for 10 minutes, then remove and put to one side..
5. Meanwhile, put a frying pan over medium heat and warm the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and leek and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened.
6. Once the pasta has cooked, drain it and rinse it under cold water. Then add it back to the pot.
7. Mix in the seeds, broccoli, onion, leek and pesto and stir thoroughly until evenly distributed through the pasta.
8. Season with salt and pepper and serve with lemon wedges and fresh basil leaves.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
kCal - 565 | Fats (g) - 29 | Carbohydrates (g) - 63 | Protein (g) - 7 | Fibre (g) - 8